April 2019 Student Services Newsletter
Find out what is happening in the Faculty of Education and York U. by visiting:
- The Career Centre’s job postings (which often include local school boards)
- The Career Centre monthly online calendar which includes workshops, events (including overseas Teaching Opportunities), and Employer Recruitment Sessions along with Tabling Sessions
- The FESA Facebook employment page
- The York U Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room
- The Faculty of Education News & Events feed
Donations for Costa Rica teachers and students/children
One of our Education students is collecting donations "care packages" to take down to Costa Rica for local teachers, students and children. Donations can be brought to Student Services, 128 Winters College ~ Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. More information on items to donate visit FESA facebook
Advising packages for ED 2 (Semester 3 and 4) 2019-20
The Students Services team are working on the FW 2019-20 Advising/Enrollment packages. Once the packages are complete, they will be sent by email to all students returning and continuing in the BEd program this September. This also includes Ryerson ECS/PJ BEd students enrolling in Year 3 this (semester 5 and 6) September 2019-20. Included in the package will be the course schedule, Monday - Friday class schedule, F/W ED elective choices, ED 2 Practicum meetings, reminder to reapply for Police Record Check/VSS and any important dates for FW 2019 academic year. Plan to have the package ready by mid- April.
Students graduating with BEd this June - Professional Learning survey Attention students convocating this June with the BEd! Help the Office of Professional Learning choose the next AQ or ABQ to add to their New Grad course line-up by taking their quick poll! rebrand.ly/aqpoll
Faculty of Education Convocation June 20, 2019 @ 3:30
Graduating BEd students should view the information on the university’s convocation Web site for details regarding the ceremony and diploma services http://convocation.students.yorku.ca/
Please note, the Faculty of Education Office of Student Services will be sending to the Registrar’s Office the following cohort of students “eligible to graduate”. These students do not need to apply for graduation.
- Consecutive BEd
- Technological Education BEd
- Upper year Concurrent BEd students who are completing the 60-credit program and graduating June 2019.
Students who are in the Concurrent BEd program and have both an undergraduate and Faculty of Education enrolment window for FW 2018-19 should apply to graduate online using the convocation Website at http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/preparing/apply Deadline to apply was February 28, 2019.
2019 BEd Graduates ~ Apply to the Ontario College of Teachers for your Membership registration
BEd students graduating in June 2019 will be applying to the Ontario College of Teachers to become a certified member. There are several steps students will need to do to ensure there are no delays nominating BEd graduates after convocation.
- Review the OCT application information at: https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
- Apply for OCT membership/registration: visit: www.oct.ca select Members and then Create an Account. In order for the BEd Student Services Office to send your recommendation, we require the six-digit OCT registration number for each graduating teacher candidate.
- Submit the six-digit Ontario College Teachers (OCT) registration number by June 1, 2019 to the Faculty of Education. The online form is available on the Faculty of Education website. Select Current Students, Undergraduate, Convocation then select OCT Registration Number. This will require logging into Passport York.
- Send Transcripts to OCT ~ Graduating BEd teacher candidates will need to decide themselves to order all post-secondary transcripts to be sent to the Ontario College of Teachers. When ordering transcripts, please indicate that you wish for your York University transcript to be sent upon degree completion. Your transcripts must indicate your Bachelor of Education degree has been conferred. This means your transcripts should not be sent until after the June convocation. It’s recommended to order the transcript through OUAC as they send it electronically to OCT vs paper https://www.ouac.on.ca/apply/oct/en_CA/user/login
- Recommendation to OCT - The Faculty of Education will only send your recommendation to OCT following convocation. Transcripts ordered by the student and the recommendation sent by the Faculty of Education are required for certification.
For more information, visit the 'Apply Now' section of the OCT website.
Summer enrollment windows SU 2019
All BEd and BA Educational Studies students continuing for FW 2019-20 were given summer enrollment window to enroll in courses. Please check your student record to see the first date for summer enrolment. There was a lot of interest in summer ED electives. We ask students to only enrol in one ED elective.
Education Electives BEd students- Summer 2019
The Associate Deans Office has approved an additional Summer ED elective ED/EDUC 2200 3.0 section A Term B "Issues in Indigenous Education" (April 27- May 27). The course will be open for enrolment Saturday, April 6th mid-night. The list of electives is available on Search Course Timetables https://w2prod.sis.yorku.ca/Apps/WebObjects/cdm
Please note, there are courses being offered over the summer for two new BEd cohorts (Waaban Indigenous Education and Ryerson ECS/PJ BEd) who are pursuing the programs off campus. Those courses showing as section T and R are not available to Keele/CEC BEd students.
Professional Development for EDST 3999 6.0
Experience, Inquire, Contribute I (EIC): Systematic Observation in Context
BA Educational Studies students who will be heading into Year 3 for FW 2019-20 will be required to attend one of the sessions on Professional Development to support the course/community practicum of EDST 3999 6.0. Session will be held in McLaughlin College Rm 103 on April 22nd or April 23rd 9:00 am to 12:30 pm.
Registration numbers are limited on each of the dates (provided).
Step 1 - click the link provided (below) for the date you wish to attend.
Step 2- at the bottom of the window you will see this: “If you are a York University student, please click here to login in”
Step 3 - at the Career Centre webpage, go to the top and select STUDENTS. Please login in here (as student) using your York U Passport York
Professionalism Workshop, Monday, April 22nd, 9:30 am – 12:30 pm, location: MC 103 (Facilitator: Saranjeet Kaur) https://experience.yorku.ca/events.htm?evtId=149
Professionalism Workshop, Tuesday, April 23rd, 9:30 am – 12:30 pm, location: MC 103 (Facilitator: Dali Cela) https://experience.yorku.ca/events.htm?evtId=170
OSSTF/FEESO Faculty of Education Award 2019
Deadline: April 15, 2019 Please note: The selection of the award recipients of the OSSTF/FEESO Faculty of Education Award is done by OSSTF. The applications/nomination are sent directly to OSSTF. Teacher Candidates must apply for the award using the OSSTF/FEESO application form.
The OSSTF/FEESO Faculty of Education Award, valued at $1,000 annually, shall be awarded to one graduating Intermediate/Senior or Technological Education Teacher Candidate at each English-language publicly assisted Ontario faculty of education who applies for the award and who in the opinion of the OSSTF/FEESO Provincial Executive has shown a clear understanding and empathy for the values of unionism, is attempting to secure a job with a public secondary board, and best exemplifies the criteria. Visit OSSTF/FEESO Deadline April 15, 2019
Ontario College of Teachers Scholarship Program 2019-20 (updated April 11/19)
Deadline: June 29, 2019
The College offers three scholarships of $2000.00 and will be awarded in 2020. Teacher candidates in Ontario consecutive and concurrent teacher education program who will graduate in 2020 are eligible to apply for the 2019-20 scholarships.
1. Joseph W. Atkinson Scholarship for excellence in Teacher Education
2. Ontario College of Teachers Primary/Junior or Junior/Intermediate Scholarship
3. Ontario College of Teachers Intermediate/Senior Scholarship
The application will open on January 2, 2019 and close on June 28, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Online Application Process Applications for the Ontario College of Teachers Scholarship Program are completed online. Features of the online application include:
• Secure login for applicants
• Application portal can be accessed multiple times before final submission
• Supporting documentation can now be submitted electronically
• Quick and easy application tool
• More information and application visit http://www.oct.ca/about-the-college/scholarships
Updating your contact information
Please remember if you change your residential address or phone number(s) you should update this information through the Registrar's Office website. Under My Student Records select Change My Profile. You are also encouraged to add a contact person in case of emergency.
Reminder: Good Housekeeping
Please note that classroom space is shared and we want to remind all students/faculty if eating in the classrooms to please remove garbage and put it in the appropriate receptacles in the hallways.
By doing our part, we will help to keep our classrooms clean and in a professional state.
Office of Student Services, Faculty of Education - hours
Monday 10:00a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday to Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.