Spring 2018 Student Services Newsletter
Find out what is happening in the Faculty of Education and York U.
- Visit the Career Centre’s job postings (which often include local school boards): http://careers.yorku.ca/students-and-new-grads/looking-for-a-job/online-job-postings/
- Career Centre monthly online calendar. which include workshops, events (including overseas Teaching Opportunities), and Employer Recruitment Sessions along with Tabling Sessions
- Visit the FESA Facebook employment page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FESAYorkOpportunities/
- Visit York U Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room at http://mtrr.blog.yorku.ca/
- Faculty of Education News & Events edu.yorku.ca
- Labour Dsiruption Continue to check university messages/information and the status of your courses, go to my.yorku.ca. For information about the labour disruption, please visit labour.yorku.ca. The frequently asked questions section provides the most up-to-date and accurate information.
BA Educational Studies FW 2018 enrolment
Students heading into year 2 and 3 of the BA program, there will be five EDST courses offered in the fall/winter session.
- ED EDST 2450 3.0 Multilingualism and Multiculturalism (fall)
- ED/EDST 2500 3.0 Cultural Representations (winter)
- ED/EDST 2700 3.0 Teaching Internationally and Interculturally (winter)
- ED/EDST 3400 3.0 Policy and Public Education (winter)
- ED/EDST 3800 3.0 Research Methods in Education (fall)
EDST 4020, EDST 4010 and EDTS 4200 are online courses for the Borderless Higher
Education Refugee students (BHER) in Africa. They are not available to our regular BA EDST students.
IEC enrolment - year 3 BA EDST students
BA year 3 students, please note the course credit weight for EDST 3999 “Experience, Inquire and Contribute” (Community Practicum) has change from 3.0 to 6.0 credits. The Community Practicum Coordinator will be sharing the link to submit the community practicum preference in late June for this course/practicum.
Enrolment date for FW 2018
Students (BA EDSTand BEd) can check their June enrollment day and time by visiting the Registrar’s Office page, registrar.yorku.ca, and select Find out when I can enrol.
2018 BEd Graduates
Apply to Ontario College of Teachers for your Membership registration
BEd students graduating in June 2018 will be applying to the Ontario College of Teachers to become a certified member. There are several steps students will need to do to ensure there are no delays nominating BEd graduates after convocation.
- Review the OCT application information at: https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
- Apply for OCT membership/registration: visit: www.oct.ca select Members and then Create an Account. In order for the BEd Student Services Office to send your recommendation, we require the six-digit OCT registration number for each graduating teacher candidate.
- Submit the six digit Ontario College Teachers (OCT) registration number by June 1, 2018 to the Faculty of Education. The online form is available on edu.yorku.ca, select Current Students, then Convocation http://edu.yorku.ca/convocation/ then select OCT Registration Number. This will require logging into Passport York.
- Transcripts to OCT ~ Graduating BEd teacher candidates will need to arrange themselves to order all post-secondary transcripts to be sent to the Ontario College of Teachers. When ordering transcripts, please indicate that you wish for your York University transcript to be sent upon degree completion. Your transcripts must indicate your Bachelor of Education degree has been conferred. This means your transcripts should not be sent until after the June convocation. It’s recommended to order the transcript through OUAC as they send it electronically to OCT vs paper https://www.ouac.on.ca/apply/oct/en_CA/user/login
- Recommendation to OCT - The Faculty of Education will only send your recommendation to OCT following convocation. Transcripts ordered by the student and the recommendation sent by the Faculty of Education are required for certification.
For more information, visit https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
Please note, students who completed the Concurrent BEd 30-credit program requirements in 2017 and are currently waiting on final credits/grades in their home Faculties’ undergraduate degree, your Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree cannot be conferred without the degree from your home Faculty. As soon as courses are graded and completed and/or the strike is over, you will be able to graduate immediately, retroactively dated for June 2018. The Faculty of Education’s Office of Student Services sent the “BEd complete” notification to the Registrar’s Office in March for degree audit review. The “Eligible to Graduate” status is pending on the degree from your home faculty. Once both degrees are conferred, you will be recommended to the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT).
We encourage you to apply to the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) for membership now, in order to facilitate your accreditation quickly. Please follow the steps noted above.
BEd Students heading into ED 2 FW 2018-19 (Concurrent and Consecutive)
The Office of Students Services sent out by email the year 2 advising and enrolment packages in mid-April to returning/continuing students. All ED 2 TC’s will be enrolling themselves in the following courses only. The Faculty of Education, Office of Student Services will be enrolling students in the remaining courses by the end of June/early July 2018. Please ensure you have enrolled in the following PRAC’s and elective(s) no later then June 20, 2018 as this is required for our advisors to enrol TC's in the remaining courses.
- ED/EDPR 3000 3.0
- ED/EDPR 4000 3.0
- Education Elective(s) See the advising package sent to you for the list of Education elective course offerings.
ED 1 TC's heading back to their Undergrad program FW 2018
The Office of Students Services will emailing TCs who have headed back to their UG program this fall/winter to share the following. Email will be sent in February 2019 with dates to note (PIMS - selecting school board, ED 2 advising packages, apply for Police Record Check/VSS and make sure to keep your undergrad overall gpa at a C+/5.0) for FW 2019 ED 2 enrolment. Look forward to seeing you next year.
OSAP (Ontartio Student Assistance Program) 2018-19 Full-Time application
To search for the BEd program on OSAP, students can use a key work (for example: Consecutive) and then filter their search by selecting the study level (year 1 or 2).
Summer Institute 2018
We are excited to announce that registration is now open for the Faculty of Education Summer Institute in partnership with Réseau de Savoir sur l’Équité | Equity Knowledge Network (RSEKN). Please go to: http://fesi.blog.yorku.ca/ to register.
Updating your contact information
Please remember if you change your residential address or phone number(s) you should update this information through York U. Online Service: My Student Records and select Change My Profile at http://www.registrar.yorku.ca/index.php. Its’ also encouraged to add a contact person in case of emergency.
ADVISING: If you need individual advising all students are welcome to book an advising appointment at http://edu.yorku.ca/current-students/undergraduate/advising/ The Office of Student Services offers three days of individual advising - Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 10am to 12noon and 2 pm to 4pm. Please note in the months of June, July and August the university offices close at 3:00pm.
Office of Education Student Services hours
Monday 10am – 4pm
Tuesday to Thursday 9am – 4pm
Friday’s month of June, July and August 9am-3pm
Book an Appointment with an Advisor at edu.yorku.ca Select Current Students and Advising