Student Services Newsletter March 2019
Find out what is happening in the Faculty of Education and York U. by visiting:
- The Career Centre’s job postings (which often include local school boards)
- The Career Centre monthly online calendar which includes workshops, events (including overseas Teaching Opportunities), and Employer Recruitment Sessions along with Tabling Sessions
- The FESA Facebook employment page
- The York U Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room
- The Faculty of Education News & Events feed
We want to welcome Tsering Yangchen to the Office of Student Services in her role as Faculty of Education Student Services Assistant. She's looking forward to meeting and supporting our BEd and BA students.
FESA is seeking enthusiastic and responsible students interested in serving on council in the 2019/2020 school year.
FESA Council is the non-profit, levy-funded association government of the Faculty of Education Students’ Association. It enhances the overall university experience for its members by planning professional development and social activities. FESA Council also advocates for and represents FESA members and works as liaison between the Faculty of Education and its students. For more information, please visit rebrand.ly/joinfesa. Applications are due March 25, 2019.
Students heading into ED 2 FW 2019-20 Select your Practicum Placement Location/Zone
Students will log on to the Practicum Information Management System to select practicum preferences for the 2019-20 academic year. The online form will be available Friday, March 1 to Friday, March 29, 2019. Students that do not submit a request for practicum for 2019-20, will not have a school placement come September. When student’s login to PIMs, they should click on Practicum Placement Preference and the window will open to make the request. Students that do not have the option “Practicum Placement Preferences” should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advising packages for ED 2 (Semester 3 ad 4) 2019-20
The Students Services team are working on the FW 2019-20 Advising/Enrollment packages. Once the packages are complete they will be sent by email to all students returning and continuing in the Bed program this September. Included in the package will be the course schedule, Monday - Friday class schedule, F/W ED elective choices, ED 2 Practicum meetings, reminder to reapply for Police Record Check/VSS and any important dates for FW 2019 academic year. Plan to have the package ready by early/mid- April.
Students graduating with BEd this June - Professional Learning survey Attention students convocating this June with the BEd! Help the Office of Professional Learning choose the next AQ or ABQ to add to their New Grad course line-up by taking their quick poll! rebrand.ly/aqpoll
Graduating BEd students should view the information on the university’s convocation Web site for details regarding the ceremony and diploma services http://convocation.students.yorku.ca/
Please note, the Faculty of Education Office of Student Services will be sending to the Registrar’s Office the following cohort of students “eligible to graduate”. These students do not need to apply for graduation.
- Consecutive Bed
- Technological Education BEd
- Upper year Concurrent BEd students who are completing the 60-credit program and graduating June 2019.
Students who are in the Concurrent BEd program and have both an undergraduate and Faculty of Education enrolment window for FW 2018-19 should apply to graduate online using the convocation Website at http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/preparing/apply Deadline to apply is February 28, 2019.
2019 BEd Graduates ~ Apply to the Ontario College of Teachers for your Membership registration
BEd students graduating in June 2019 will be applying to the Ontario College of Teachers to become a certified member. There are several steps students will need to do to ensure there are no delays nominating BEd graduates after convocation.
- Review the OCT application information at: https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
- Apply for OCT membership/registration: visit: www.oct.ca select Members and then Create an Account. In order for the BEd Student Services Office to send your recommendation, we require the six-digit OCT registration number for each graduating teacher candidate.
- Submit the six-digit Ontario College Teachers (OCT) registration number by June 1, 2019 to the Faculty of Education. The online form is available on the Faculty of Education website. Select Current Students, then Convocation then select OCT Registration Number. This will require logging into Passport York.
- Send Transcripts to OCT ~ Graduating BEd teacher candidates will need to decide themselves to order all post-secondary transcripts to be sent to the Ontario College of Teachers. When ordering transcripts, please indicate that you wish for your York University transcript to be sent upon degree completion. Your transcripts must indicate your Bachelor of Education degree has been conferred. This means your transcripts should not be sent until after the June convocation. It’s recommended to order the transcript through OUAC as they send it electronically to OCT vs paper https://www.ouac.on.ca/apply/oct/en_CA/user/login
- Recommendation to OCT - The Faculty of Education will only send your recommendation to OCT following convocation. Transcripts ordered by the student and the recommendation sent by the Faculty of Education are required for certification.
For more information, visit the 'Apply Now' section of the OCT website.
Summer enrollment windows SU 2019
All BEd and BA Educational Studies students continuing for FW 2019-20 have been given a summer enrollment window to enroll in courses. Please check your student record to see the first date for summer enrolment. Concurrent BEd students who have just completed ED 1 and are heading back to their undergraduate program for FW 2019 have a summer enrollment for both their undergraduate and BEd program
Education Electives BEd students- Summer 2019
The Faculty of Education will be offering EDUC elective courses over the summer (May, June and into July). The following electives are planned to be offered. The list of electives is available on Search Course Timetables https://w2prod.sis.yorku.ca/Apps/WebObjects/cdm Priority is given to teacher candidates going into ED 2 (Semester 3 and 4) for FW 2019-20 year and were not able to enroll in the first elective over winter 2019. Please Note: Course offerings are subject to change. As the faculty are only able to offer a few electives for summer, students should only enrol one course.
Term B April 29 - May 27
- EDUC 3592 3.0 Teaching for Understanding in the Mathematics Classroom(seats are reserved for PJ and JI students – math elective)
- EDUC 3610 3.0 New Media Literacies and Culture (seats reserved for PJ and JI students – literacy elective)
- EDUC 3900 3.0 Studies in Popular Culture
Term C May 7 – July 25
- EDUC 3751 Assessment in the Primary/Junior Division(This course is being offered to Year 1 Ryerson ECS/BEd students at Ryerson University)
- EDUC 3700 Educating for a Sustainable Future(this course is being taught in Costa Rica) Application process (deadline extended to March 15, 2019) for consideration is at: http://lasnubes.info.yorku.ca/education/semester-abroad/ Students in the BEd and BA Educational Studies program are eligible for consideration to attend the course in Las Nubes. (open elective)
Term C1 June 3 – July 1
- EDUC 3711 Education and International Development
- ED/EDUC 3750 Educational Assessment (date mid-May through to June online)
BA Educational Studies student – summer enrolment
Students in the BA Educational Studies program wishing to enroll in summer courses can consider enrolling in courses outside of the BA EDST offering. Visit: York U. Course Timetable Website
Professional Development for EDST 3999 6.0
Experience, Inquire, Contribute I (EIC): Systematic Observation in Context
BA Educational Studies students who will be heading into Year 3 for FW 2019-20 will be required to attend one of the sessions on Professional Development to support the course/community practicum of EDST 3999 6.0. Session will be held in McLaughlin College Rm 103 on April 22nd or April 23rd 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. More information will be sent by email to the BA EDST students in late March 2019.
Fall/Winter 2018-19 SFP http://sfs.yorku.ca/aid/sfp/ The application is available for Fall/Winter 2018-2019 programs. Students must submit their SFP by the following dates to be considered for the corresponding programs:
- York University Undergraduate Bursary - Deadline: March 15, 2019
OSSTF/FEESO Faculty of Education Award 2019
Deadline: April 15, 2019 Please note: The selection of the award recipients of the OSSTF/FEESO Faculty of Education Award is done by OSSTF. The applications/nomination are sent directly to OSSTF. Teacher Candidates must apply for the award using the OSSTF/FEESO application form.
The OSSTF/FEESO Faculty of Education Award, valued at $1,000 annually, shall be awarded to one graduating Intermediate/Senior or Technological Education Teacher Candidate at each English-language publicly assisted Ontario faculty of education who applies for the award and who in the opinion of the OSSTF/FEESO Provincial Executive has shown a clear understanding and empathy for the values of unionism, is attempting to secure a job with a public secondary board, and best exemplifies the criteria. Visit OSSTF/FEESO Deadline April 15, 2019
Ontario College of Teachers Scholarship Program 2018-19
Deadline: June 29, 2019
The College offers three scholarships of $2000.00 and will be awarded in 2019. Teacher candidates in Ontario consecutive and concurrent teacher education program who will graduate in 2019 are eligible to apply for the 2018-19 scholarships.
1. Joseph W. Atkinson Scholarship for excellence in Teacher Education
2. Ontario College of Teachers Primary/Junior or Junior/Intermediate Scholarship
3. Ontario College of Teachers Intermediate/Senior Scholarship
The application period for the 2018-19 scholarship program will open on January 2, 2019 and close on June 28, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Online Application Process Applications for the Ontario College of Teachers Scholarship Program are completed online. Features of the online application include:
• Secure login for applicants
• Application portal can be accessed multiple times before final submission
• Supporting documentation can now be submitted electronically
• Quick and easy application tool
• More information and application visit http://www.oct.ca/about-the-college/scholarships
Updating your contact information
Please remember if you change your residential address or phone number(s) you should update this information through the Registrar's Office website. Under My Student Records select Change My Profile. You are also encouraged to add a contact person in case of emergency.
Reminder: Good Housekeeping
Please note that classroom space is shared and we want to remind all students/faculty if eating in the classrooms to please remove garbage and put it in the appropriate receptacles in the hallways.
By doing our part, we will help to keep our classrooms clean and in a professional state.
In case of a weather-related suspension of classes or exams, information will be posted on the University's Weather Status webpage.
Office of Student Services, Faculty of Education - hours
Monday 10:00a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday to Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.