Student Services Newsletter - January 2019
Find out what is happening in the Faculty of Education and York U.
- Visit the Career Centre’s job postings (which often include local school boards): http://careers.yorku.ca/students-and-new-grads/looking-for-a-job/online-job-postings/
- Career Centre monthly online calendar. which include workshops, events (including overseas Teaching Opportunities), and information sessions.
- Visit the FESA Facebook employment page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FESAYorkOpportunities/
- Visit York U Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room at http://mtrr.blog.yorku.ca/
- Faculty of Education News & Events edu.yorku.ca
York University will be closed during the Holiday Season, December 22, 2018 to January 1, 2019 inclusive. The university will resume normal office hours on Wednesday, January 2, 2019. Classes begin on Thursday, January 3rd. Visit the BEd Program Calendars to see when you're back to class https://edu.yorku.ca/current-students/undergraduate/
Faculty of Education Students' Association (FESA) International Recruitment Fair ~ January 23 @ 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
The International Recruitment Fair is designed for graduating students and alumni looking to find DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES, for all students who would like to learn more about how to apply to Ontario School Boards and everything you need to know about AQs.
This event is an opportunity to interact with Ontario School Boards, International Schools and International Education Recruitment Agencies. Whether you want to teach in Ontario, teach abroad, or want to learn something new...this event is for YOU!
Book your ticket to attend: edu.yorku.ca and Visit the January 23, 2019 calendar (News and Events)
The Career Centre's annual winter Career Fair will be taking place on Thursday, January 17, 2019 in the Victor Phillip Dahdaleh Building (formerly TEL Building) with over 50 employers offering full-time, part-time, and summer employment opportunities for York students and new graduates.
ED/EDST 4010 Seminar class Friday, January 11, 2019
Students enrolled in EDST 4010 section "Educating for Activism" will have a meeting with Professor Dippo on Friday, January 11, 2018 at 1:00 pm. Please log into the class Moodle "Course Announcements" for further information posted by the instructor.
STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS ~ Teaching Self-Advocacy
FREE DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP FOR BEd Students
Learn and practice strategies to implement self-advocacy in schools.
Help students with disabilities prepare for post secondary education.
DATE: THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7th 2019 1:30pm - 3:30 pm DB 3146
RSVP by January 30th: click here!
Hosted by: Student Accessibility Services & Education Community Placement Students
2019 BEd Graduates
Apply to Ontario College of Teachers for your Membership registration
BEd students graduating in June 2019 will be applying to the Ontario College of Teachers to become a certified member. There are several steps students will need to do to ensure there are no delays nominating BEd graduates after convocation.
- Review the OCT application information at: https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
- Apply for OCT membership/registration: visit: www.oct.ca select Members and then Create an Account. In order for the BEd Student Services Office to send your recommendation, we require the six-digit OCT registration number for each graduating teacher candidate.
- Submit the six-digit Ontario College Teachers (OCT) registration number by June 1, 2019 to the Faculty of Education. The online form is available on edu.yorku.ca, select Current Students, then Convocation http://edu.yorku.ca/convocation/ then select OCT Registration Number. This will require logging into Passport York.
- Transcripts to OCT ~ Graduating BEd teacher candidates will need to make arrangements themselves to order all post-secondary transcripts to be sent to the Ontario College of Teachers. When ordering transcripts, please indicate that you wish for your York University transcript to be sent upon degree completion. Your transcripts must indicate your Bachelor of Education degree has been conferred. This means your transcripts should not be sent until after the June convocation. The Faculty of Education will only send your recommendation to OCT following convocation. Transcripts ordered by the student and the recommendation sent by the Faculty of Education are required for certification.
Graduating BEd students should view the information on the university’s convocation Web site for details regarding the ceremony and diploma services. Only Concurrent BEd students need to apply to graduate online using the convocation Website at http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/preparing/apply Deadline to apply is February 28, 2019.
Education Electives - Summer 2019
The Faculty of Education will be offering ED elective courses over the summer (May, June and into July). The course list of electives will be shared with BEd students end of February/early March.
ED elective priority enrollment will be as follows:
- ED 1 Consecutive students heading into ED2 wishing to lessen the course load for F/W 2019 or missed enrolling in an elective or course conflict.
- ED 1 Concurrent students heading back to their UG degree for F/W 2019 and wishing to enroll in elective.
Fall/Winter 2018-19 SFP http://sfs.yorku.ca/aid/sfp/ The application is available for Fall/Winter 2018-2019 programs. Students must submit their SFP by the following dates to be considered for the corresponding programs:
- Work/Study Program (RAY/CLAY/YES/Workstudy) - Deadline: February 1, 2019
- York University Undergraduate Bursary - Deadline: March 15, 2019.
Updating your contact information
Please remember if you change your residential address or phone number(s) you should update this information through York U. Online Service: My Student Records and select Change My Profile at http://www.registrar.yorku.ca/index.php. Its’ also encouraged to add a contact person in case of emergency.
Reminder: Good Housekeeping
Please note that classroom space is shared and we want to remind all students/faculty if eating in the classrooms to please remove garbage and put in the appropriate receptacles in the hallways. By doing our part, we will help to keep our classrooms in a professional state.
Throughout the winter, in cases of inclement weather, the university will also post on its web site weather emergencies and university closures. For details, visit http://webapps.yorku.ca/weather/
Office of Education Student Services hours
Monday 10am – 4pm
Tuesday to Friday 9am – 4pm
Book an Appointment with an Advisor at edu.yorku.ca Select Current Students and Advising