March 2018 Student Services Newsletter
As of Monday, March 5, a labour disruption is ongoing at York University.
The University is open. Acting in the interests of our students, all classes that can continue will continue. Libraries, cafeterias, residences, student services, administrative offices and other university facilities will remain open. Some classes, labs and tutorials may have to be temporarily suspended. We will work to accommodate and support any students whose studies are interrupted. To check the status of your courses, please go to my.yorku.ca.
For information about the labour disruption, please visit labour.yorku.ca. The frequently asked questions section provides the most up-to-date and accurate information.
Find out what is happening in the Faculty of Education and York U by visiting:
- The Career Centre’s job postings (which often include local school boards)
- The Career Centre monthly online calendar which includes workshops, events (including overseas Teaching Opportunities), and Employer Recruitment Sessions along with Tabling Sessions
- The FESA Facebook employment page
- The York U Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room
- The Faculty of Education News & Events feed
We want to welcome Jane Larsson to the Office of Student Services in her role as Faculty of Education Student Advisor. She's looking forward to meeting and supporting our BEd and BA students.
Students heading into ED 2 FW 2018-19
Select your Practicum Placement Location/Zone
Students will log on to the Practicum Information Management System to select practicum preferences for the 2018-19 academic year. The online form will be available Friday, March 9 to Wednesday, March 28, 2018.
Orientations to Professional Practice: Conversations and Experiences
These Workshops for Bachelor of Education students will engage teacher candidates in conversations and experiences specifically related to the complex dimensions of professionalism in the education sector.
Session 3: Professional Advocacy and Conflict Resolution
Monday, March 12, 2018 noon – 2:00 p.m. | 3140 Victor Phillip Dahdaleh Building
Dr. Sarah Barrett (Associate Professor, Undergraduate Program Director)
Dr. Diane Vetter (Practicum Coordinator)
Cost: $30.00 per session (includes refreshments) Register online at http://bit.ly/2AqCeYI
Graduating BEd students should view the information on the university’s convocation website for details regarding the ceremony and diploma services.
Please note, the Faculty of Education's Office of Student Services will be sending the Registrars Office the following cohort(s) of students “eligible to graduate”.
- Consecutive BEd
- Ryerson ECSA and BEd
- Technological Education BEd
- Concurrent BEd students (30credit program) who completed the BEd requirements in FW2016-17.
- Upper year Concurrent BEd students who are completing the 60 credit program and graduating June 2018.
Students who are in the Concurrent BEd program and have both an undergraduate and Faculty of Education enrollment window for FW 2017-18 should apply to graduate online using the convocation website at http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/preparing/apply.
Deadline to apply is February 28, 2018.
2018 BEd Graduates
Apply to the Ontario College of Teachers for your Membership registration
BEd students graduating in June 2018 will be applying to the Ontario College of Teachers to become a certified member. There are several steps students will need to do to ensure there are no delays nominating BEd graduates after convocation.
- Review the OCT application information at: https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
- Apply for OCT membership/registration: visit: www.oct.ca select Members and then Create an Account. In order for the BEd Student Services Office to send your recommendation, we require the six-digit OCT registration number for each graduating teacher candidate.
- Submit the six digit Ontario College Teachers (OCT) registration number by June 1, 2018 to the Faculty of Education. The online form is available on the Faculty of Education website. Select Current Students, then Convocation then select OCT Registration Number. This will require logging into Passport York.
- Send Transcripts to OCT ~ Graduating BEd teacher candidates will need to make arrangements themselves to order all post-secondary transcripts to be sent to the Ontario College of Teachers. When ordering transcripts, please indicate that you wish for your York University transcript to be sent upon degree completion. Your transcripts must indicate your Bachelor of Education degree has been conferred. This means your transcripts should not be sent until after the June convocation. It’s recommended to order the transcript through OUAC as they send it electronically to OCT vs paper https://www.ouac.on.ca/apply/oct/en_CA/user/login
- Recommendation to OCT - The Faculty of Education will only send your recommendation to OCT following convocation. Transcripts ordered by the student and the recommendation sent by the Faculty of Education are required for certification.
For more information, visit the 'Apply Now' section of the OCT website.
Education Electives - SU 2018
The Faculty of Education will be offering EDUC elective courses over the summer (May, June and into July). The following electives are planned to be offered. Please Note: Course offerings are subject to change.
EDUC 3592 section A Teaching for Understanding the Mathematics in Classroom (seats reserved for PJ and JI students)
- April 30 – May 28 (MTR) 8:30-11:30
EDUC 3610 section A New Media Literacies & Culture (seats reserved for PJ or JI students)
- April 30 – May 28 (MTR) 11:30 – 2:30
EDUC 3900 section A Studies in Popular Culture
- April 30 – May 28 (TWF) 8:30 – 11:30
EDUC 3700 section A Educating for a Sustainable Future (section X is being taught in Costa Rica in partnership with Environmental Studies )
- June 4 – June 29 (TWF) 8:30-11:30
EDUC 3711 section A Education and International Development (please note section X and Y are not available to BEd students as it's being taught to students overseas)
- June 4 – June 29 (MWF) 11:30 – 2:30
Priority is given to teacher candidates going into ED 2 (Semester 3 and 4) for FW 2018-19 year. EDUC elective priority enrollment will be as follows:
- BEd students heading into year 2 of ED (Semester 3 and 4). This includes students in the Concurrent BEd program (Ryerson ECSA/BEd, Glendon BEd French Immersion and students returning to BEd from UG program) model returning to ED for year 2 in FW 2018-19 from their undergraduate program. Planning SU enrollment window for early March.
- BEd students heading back to their undergraduate program for FW 2018-19. Planning enrollment for mid March.
Summer enrollment windows SU 2018
All BEd and BA students continuing to FW 2018-19 have been given a summer enrollment to enroll in courses. Concurrent BEd students who have just completed ED 1 and are heading back to their undergraduate program for FW 2018 have a summer enrollment for both their undergraduate and BEd program.
The Office of Professional Learning in the Faculty of Education is offering the following Additional Qualification (AQ) courses to new grads this summer.
- Mathematics, Primary and Junior (P/J) Part 1
- Special Education, Part 1
- Teaching English Language Learners, Part 1
Register now at http://bit.ly/2kpNkkb
Updating your contact information
Please remember if you change your residential address or phone number(s) you should update this information through the Registrar's Office website. Under My Student Records select Change My Profile. You are also encouraged to add a contact person in case of emergency.
Reminder: Good Housekeeping
Please note that classroom space is shared and we want to remind all students/faculty if eating in the classrooms to please remove garbage and put it in the appropriate receptacles in the hallways.
By doing our part, we will help to keep our classrooms clean and in a professional state.
In case of a weather-related suspension of classes or exams, information will be posted on the University's Weather Status webpage.
Office of Student Services, Faculty of Education - hours
Monday 10:00a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday to Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.