September 2017 Student Newsletter

Welcome
The Faculty of Education welcomes the New Year One Education students this September.

Find out what’s happening in the Faculty of Education
Join our Twitter, Facebook and Youtube channel at edu.yorku.ca to stay in touch and be informed of the latest news, events and what's happening in the Faculty of Education.

ORIENTATION - Year One Consecutive and Concurrent BEd students

DATE:  Monday, August 28, 2017

LOCATION: Accolade Centre East and Accolade Centre West

York map: http://www.yorku.ca/web/maps/.

TIME:  8:30am and to 4:00pm

Year One Orientation will be held from 8:30am through to 4:00pm on Monday, August 28th.   The day will include Orientation to the Bachelor of Education program, meeting your Practicum Facilitator, Boundaries Workshop and presentation by Ontario Teachers Federations.

There are two groups – Group A and Group B.  The groups have been arranged by your Practicum Course Sections which is found in PIMS  https://practicum.edu.yorku.ca.   Log on using your Passport York ID and password.    Once you know your Practicum Course Section e.g. X-EDPR-H you will see in the York U. Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room http://mtrr.blog.yorku.ca/year-one-orientation-august-28th/ which group you are in, who your Practicum Facilitator is and the schedule of events for that group.

Year Two & ED 3 Practicum Meetings  on  Tuesday, September 5th
A mandatory practicum meeting for all Year TWO and ED3 Teacher Candidates will be held on Tuesday, September 5th, 2017 on the Keele Campus.  Visit MTRR (Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room) for the meeting times and location http://mtrr.blog.yorku.ca/year-two-ed3-practicum-meetings/

How to check your time and Room Assigned for Practicum Meeting:
Check on PIMS (Practicum Information Management System) the placement information Section before you look at the MTRR.   PIMS: https://practicum.edu.yorku.ca.  Log on using your Passport York ID and password.  . Your course code has TWO designators; the first is X-EDPR3000/PRAC4000, Y-EDPR3000/PRAC4000, Z-EDPR3000/PRAC4000, or EDPR3000C.  The second designation is at the end of the EDPR course code (X-EDPR3000/PRAC4000-A, X-EDPR3000/PRAC4000-B, EDPR3000C-A, etc.).

Please note; some placements are still pending confirmation by school boards. Check PIMS regularly as confirmations are updated daily.

Education Electives
We understand there is limited seats in the fall and winter electives.  We are working on this and will be contacting students who are missing an elective.

Criminal Background Check
All Teacher Candidates are required to hold a valid Criminal Background Check prior to entering placement.  This requirement is enforced by school boards who are safeguarding the children in their classrooms.  There are NO EXCEPTIONS.   NO valid Criminal Background Check means NO PLACEMENT.

Are You on the Official Class list?
A teacher candidate will not receive a final grade for coursework if he/she is not listed on the official class list. You should not attend classes for a section that is not the one listed on your student record. Because official class lists are used for submitting final grades, if you are listed on a class list for one section but attending another, you will receive a failure grade because you did not submit assignments to the instructor for the section where your name appears on the class list.

Apply for Continuing Education Student Awards
Deadline October 15 – Student Financial Profile
Awards and bursaries are available to Faculty of Education Teacher Candidates to assist with the cost of university tuition. All Teacher Candidates who feel they meet the criteria of academic excellence and financial need are encouraged to apply. The deadline is October 15th and requires students to complete Student Financial Profile.

Please note along with the October 15th Student Financial Profile  deadline the following  awards require an additional Personal/Written Statement and a Recommendation Letter to be submitted directly to the Office of Student Services.   The submission forms will be available at http://edu.yorku.ca/current-students/undergraduate/ in mid Sepetmber

Jamison Family Award This award was established by the Jamison family to provide $500 to a deserving York University student with a preference given to a Faculty of Education student. All Faculty of Education students enrolled in practicum courses are eligible to apply. The Award is based on academic promise and financial need. One recommendation letter from a member of York University’s Faculty of Education who is familiar with applicant’s work is required. The letter must address academic promise.

The Learning Station.Com Canada Technology Award This award was established by the LearningStation.com, an Internet-based Canadian company. Concurrent Ed II and Ed III students enrolled in a practicum course and all Consecutive students are eligible to apply. Awards will be granted to a student who has demonstrated innovative ways to uses technology in a learning environment with lesser weight being given to financial need. One letter of recommendation from a Course Director who is familiar with the applicant's work is required. The letter must address the applicant's contribution towards innovative use of technology. Recipients must be Canadian Citizens or permanent residents, be Ontario residents and demonstrate financial need.

Mary Sue McCarthy Bursary This $500 award has been established by the Faculty of Education Alumni Association to honour Professor Mary Sue McCarthy, an outstanding educator and a founding member of the Faculty. All Faculty of Education students are eligible to apply. Awards will be decided based on academic promise and financial need. One recommendation letter from a member of York University’s Faculty of Education who is familiar with the applicant’s work is required. The letter must address teaching promise.

Patrick Solomon Memorial Award in Urban Diversity The Patrick Solomon Memorial Award in Urban Diversity will be available for two candidates in the Faculty of Education. One award will be available for students in each of the graduate and undergraduate programs. Recipients will demonstrate a dedication to the principles of social justice, equity and community service, as demonstrated through course assignments, projects and initiatives. Applicants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or protected persons and residents of Ontario who demonstrate financial need.

Peter E. Board Bursary This small award was established by the Faculty of Education in memory of Professor Peter E. Board. All Faculty of Education students are eligible to apply. Applicants must show both financial need and academic promise. One recommendation letter from a member of York University’s Faculty of Education who is familiar with applicant’s work is required. The letter must address teaching promise.

Cornerstone Leadership Award in Action Graduating Student Award Established by Stephanie and Winston Ling, the Cornerstone Leadership in Action Awards will be presented annually to a student enrolled in their second year of the Faculty of Education's concurrent teacher education program and a student enrolled in the Faculty of Education's graduate program who has completed either the concurrent or consecutive teacher education program at York. One award will be available for students from each of these programs.

The awards recognize students who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential or ability and who embrace attributes such as honesty, integrity, passion, enthusiasm, innovation, creativity, humility and trustworthiness. Nominations will be accepted for students who embody the following:

• Has an exemplary reputation among peers, supervisors, faculty members and within relevant communities
  • Employs innovative teaching practices
  • Promotes a positive school culture
  • Has the capacity to foster leadership qualities in others
  • Works effectively with families and community members
  • Supports the concept of mentorship, in relation to peers and students
  • Believes in continuing professional education
  • Has demonstrated standards of excellence in his/her professional activities

Award recipients will be chosen from nominees who best embody the above qualities. Nominations will be accepted from faculty members or students.  In addition to the nominator’s letter (250-500 words); the nomination file should include a sample of the nominee’s work (with the nominee’s permission) which illustrates his/her qualification for the award.

Awards for Year 2 Education students

Continuing Student Award – Access Candidates
Access identified candidates who demonstrate leadership in course work and practicum.

Application Requirements:   Nomination by faculty and self-nomination

• Written Statement: Teacher Candidate is required to submit a written statement that shows how they have mobilized their experiences as an access candidate to demonstrated leadership in their practicum and course work?
  • Recommendation: Require one recommendation letter from a member of York University’s Faculty of Education who is familiar with the teacher candidate’s work.
  • To apply for the bursary students must complete Student Financial Profile <http://sfs.yorku.ca/aid/sfp>

The Written Statement and Recommendation will be submitted directly to BEd Student Services, 128 Winters College, 4700 Keele Street.

Deadline:
Student Financial Profile - October 15
Recommendation Letter and Written Statement - November 1
Amount:  $2500 x 3 awards

Continuing Student Award – Community Work
Candidate who demonstrates financial need and commitment to community work – self-nomination.

• Written Statement: Teacher Candidate is required to submit a written statement that demonstrates how the community work has influences members of the community and their understanding of being an educator.

The Written Statement will be submitted directly to BEd Student Services, 128 Winters College, 4700 Keele Street.

Deadline: 
Student Financial Profile - October 15
Amount:  $1250.00 x 2 awards

Continuing Student Award – Leadership
Candidates who demonstrate financial need and leadership in course work and practicum

• Written Statement: Teacher Candidate is required to submit a written statement that demonstrates leadership in their practicum and course work in the BEd program.
  • Recommendation: Require one recommendation letter from a member of York University’s Faculty of Education who is familiar with the teacher candidate’s work and practicum.

To apply for the bursary students must complete Student Financial Profile <http://sfs.yorku.ca/aid/sfp>. The Written Statement and recommendation letter will be submitted directly to BEd Student Services, 128 Winters College, 4700 Keele Street.

Deadline: 
Student Financial Profile - October 15
Amount:  $1000.00 x 3 awards

Please note that the awards may require the following:

• Specific to a teacher candidates York degree, teaching subjects and/or teaching level and year in the BEd program.
  • a nomination letter from a Faculty of Education instructor and a Personal Statement submitted by the TC addressing teaching promise.

More information on Student Awards visit: http://sfs.yorku.ca/scholarships/award_search/index.htm

Office of Education Student Services hours
Monday 10am – 4pm
Tuesday to Friday 9am – 4pm
In June, July and August office closes at 3:00pm on Fridays
Telephone: 416-736-5001
Email: OSP@edu.yorku.

Religious Education: Teaching in Catholic Schools - Who Should Attend
Any undergrad teacher candidate in the final year of education studies and interested in preparing to teach in Catholic schools.

NOTE: This course is open only to York University Faculty of Education undergraduate students. This course is not equivalent to the Religious Education, Part 1 additional qualification.

Course Format

• 36 hours in length; 10 hours online & 26 in-class
  • Offered in the Fall and Winter sessions
  • A Certificate of Completion is provided upon successful completion

To Apply & Fees
For actual dates, locations and session offerings, search from the list of available courses.

To apply online, visit our registration page at:  http://profdev.edu.yorku.ca/imis15_prod/conference/

YU Career Centre
The Career Centre is pleased to provide a  calendar of events for the month of September 2017. Please  refer to the  online calendar.