Find out what is happening in the Faculty of Education and York U.
- Visit the Career Centre’s job postings (which often include local school boards):
- Career Centre monthly online calendar which include workshops, events (including overseas Teaching Opportunities), and Employer Recruitment Sessions along with Tabling Sessions
- Visit the FESA Facebook employment page:
- Visit York U Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room
- Faculty of Education News & Events
Orientations to Professional Practice: Conversations and Experiences
These Workshops for Bachelor of Education students will engage teacher candidates in conversations and experiences specifically related to the complex dimensions of professionalism in the education sector.
WORKSHOPS Students who attend all three sessions will receive a certificate
Session 2: Developing a Professional Orientation to Practice
Monday, February 12, 2018 noon – 2:00 p.m. | 3140 Victor Phillip Dahdaleh Building
Session 3: Professional Advocacy and Conflict Resolution
Monday, March 12, 2018 noon – 2:00 p.m. | 3140 Victor Phillip Dahdaleh Building
Dr. Sarah Barrett (Associate Professor, Undergraduate Program Director)
Dr. Diane Vetter (Practicum Coordinator)
Cost: $30.00 per session (includes refreshments)
Register online at http://bit.ly/2AqCeYI
Calling all student leaders!
FESA is seeking enthusiastic and responsible students interested in serving on council in the 2018/2019 school year. If you believe you would be an asset to the FESA team, visit rebrand.ly/joinfesa for information and application details. Applications are due March 2, 2018 at 7:00 PM.
Graduating BEd students should view the information on the university’s convocation Web site for details regarding the ceremony and diploma services http://convocation.students.yorku.ca/
Please note, the Faculty of Education Office of Student Services will be sending to the Registrars Office the following cohort of students “eligible to graduate”.
- Consecutive BEd
- Ryerson ECSA and BEd
- Technological Education BEd
- Concurrent BEd students (30credit program) who completed the BEd requirements in FW2016-17.
- Upper year Concurrent BEd students who are completing the 60 credit program and graduating June 2018.
Students who are in the Concurrent BEd program and have both an undergraduate and Faculty of Education enrolment window for FW 2017-18 should apply to graduate online using the convocation Website at http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/preparing/apply Deadline to apply is February 28, 2018.
2018 BEd Graduates
Apply to Ontario College of Teachers for your Membership registration
BEd students graduating in June 2018 will be applying to the Ontario College of Teachers to become a certified member. There are several steps students will need to do to ensure there are no delays nominating BEd graduates after convocation.
- Review the OCT application information at: https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
- Apply for OCT membership/registration: visit: www.oct.ca select Members and then Create an Account. In order for the BEd Student Services Office to send your recommendation, we require the six-digit OCT registration number for each graduating teacher candidate.
- Submit the six digit Ontario College Teachers (OCT) registration number by June 1, 2018 to the Faculty of Education. The online form is available on edu.yorku.ca, select Current Students, then Convocation http://edu.yorku.ca/convocation/ then select OCT Registration Number. This will require logging into Passport York.
- Transcripts to OCT ~ Graduating BEd teacher candidates will need to make arrangements themselves to order all post-secondary transcripts to be sent to the Ontario College of Teachers. When ordering transcripts, please indicate that you wish for your York University transcript to be sent upon degree completion. Your transcripts must indicate your Bachelor of Education degree has been conferred. This means your transcripts should not be sent until after the June convocation. It’s recommended to order the transcript through OUAC as they send it electronically to OCT vs paper https://www.ouac.on.ca/apply/oct/en_CA/user/login
- Recommendation to OCT - The Faculty of Education will only send your recommendation to OCT following convocation. Transcripts ordered by the student and the recommendation sent by the Faculty of Education are required for certification.
For more information, visit https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
Education Electives - SU 2018
The Faculty of Education will be offering EDUC elective courses over the summer (May, June and into July). The following electives are planned to be offered. Please Note: Course offerings are subject to change.
EDUC 3592 Teaching for Understanding the Mathematics in Classroom (seats reserved for PJ and JI students)
- April 30 – May 28 (MTR) 8:30-11:30
EDUC 3610 New Media Literacies & Culture (seats reserved for PJ or JI students)
- April 30 – May 28 (MTR) 11:30 – 2:30
EDUC 3900 Studies in Popular Culture
- April 30 – May 28 (TWF) 8:30 – 11:30
EDUC 3700 Educating for a Sustainable Future
- June 4 – June 29 (TWF) 8:30-11:30
EDUC 3711 Education and International Development
- June 4 – June 29 (MWF) 11:30 – 2:30
Priority is given to teacher candidates going into ED 2 (Semester 3 and 4) for FW 2018-19 year. EDUC elective priority enrollment will be as follows:
- BEd students heading into year 2 of ED (Semester 3 and 4). This includes students in the Concurrent BEd program (Ryerson ECSA/BEd, Glendon BEd French Immersion and students returning to BEd from UG program) model returning to ED for year 2 in FW 2018-19 from their undergraduate program. Planning SU enrolment window for early March.
- BEd students heading back to their undergraduate program for FW 2018-19. Planning enrolment for mid March.
Please note; BEd students heading back to their undergraduate program for FW 2018-19, the Faculty of Education Office of Student Services will be sharing this list of students with the Registrars Office so they can create enrolment windows for both SU and FW undergraduate program 2018-19.
Course Listing: New Grad
The Professional Learning is offering the following AQs to new grads summer 2018. Registration is open now:
- Mathematics, Primary and Junior (P/J) Part 1
- Special Education, Part 1
- Teaching English Language Learners, Part 1
Fall/Winter 2017-18 SFP
The application is available for Fall/Winter 2017-2018 programs. Students must submit their SFP by the following dates to be considered for the corresponding programs:
- York University Undergraduate Bursary - Deadline: March 2, 2018
Updating your contact information
Please remember if you change your residential address or phone number(s) you should update this information through York U. Online Service: My Student Records and select Change My Profile at http://www.registrar.yorku.ca/index.php. Its’ also encouraged to add a contact person in case of emergency.
Reminder: Good Housekeeping
Please note that classroom space is shared and we want to remind all students/faculty if eating in the classrooms to please remove garbage and put in the appropriate receptacles in the hallways. By doing our part, we will help to keep our classrooms in a professional state.
Throughout the winter, in cases of inclement weather, the university will also post on its web site weather emergencies and university closures. For details, visit http://webapps.yorku.ca/weather/