Student Services Newsletter - January 2020
- Career Centre Visit Career Centre and find out about the services and opportunities available to you. During the fall and the winter session Employers/Representatives from teaching organizations schedule a space in Winters College 1st flr to speak with teacher candidates. Keep an eye on the Career Centre monthly calendar. Posted as Employer Tabling Session:
- The FESA Facebook employment page
- The York U Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room
- The Faculty of Education News & Events feed
BA EDST Program requirement regulation changes
Over this past year there were course requirement regulation changes for the BA Educational Studies program. Please ensure you visit the Academic Calendars at https://calendars.students.yorku.ca/
Professional Development for EDST 3999 6.0
Experience, Inquire, Contribute I (EIC): Systematic Observation in Context
BA Educational Studies students who will be heading into Year 3 for FW 2020-21 will be required to attend one of the sessions on Professional Development to support the course/community practicum of EDST 3999 6.0 . Sessions will be held in mid to late April. Students need to attend one of the planned sessions. The sessions are approx. 2.5 hours. More information will be sent by email to the BA EDST students in March 2020.
Faculty of Education Students' Association Employment Fair ~ January 22 @ 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
The Education Employment Fair is designed for graduating students and alumni looking to find LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES. This fair allows students to learn more about how to apply to Ontario School Boards, teaching internationally and everything you need to know about getting out in the field.
More information: rebrand.ly/employment2020
Planning summer 2020 Education Electives
The Faculty of Education offers a few education summer electives for the students in the BEd to enrol in. Planning to offer in May and June the following courses. The courses are taught online, blended or lecture. Students in the Concurrent BEd Year 1 can also enrol in an elective(s) summer 2021.
Blended ~ Thinking Mathematically 3.00 (math elective)
Lecture ~ Literacy and Culture 3.00 (Literacy elective)
Online ~ Issues in Indigenous Education 3.00
Online ~ Education for a Sustainable Future 3.00
Lecture ~ Philosophical Inquire into Critical Thinking & Curriculumn 3.00
Lecture ~ Educating for a Sustainable Future 3.00
2020 BEd Graduates ~ Apply to the Ontario College of Teachers for your Membership registration
BEd students graduating in June 2020 will be applying to the Ontario College of Teachers to become a certified member. There are several steps students will need to do to ensure there are no delays nominating BEd graduates after convocation.
- Review the OCT application information at: https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
- Apply for OCT membership/registration: visit: www.oct.ca select Members and then Create an Account. In order for the BEd Student Services Office to send your recommendation, we require the six-digit OCT registration number for each graduating teacher candidate.
- Submit the six-digit Ontario College Teachers (OCT) registration number by June 1, 2020 to the Faculty of Education. The online form is available on the Faculty of Education website. Select Current Students, Undergraduate, Convocation then select OCT Registration Number. This will require logging into Passport York.
- Send Transcripts to OCT ~ Graduating BEd teacher candidates will need to decide themselves to order all post-secondary transcripts to be sent to the Ontario College of Teachers. When ordering transcripts, please indicate that you wish for your York University transcript to be sent upon degree completion. Your transcripts must indicate your Bachelor of Education degree has been conferred. This means your transcripts should not be sent until after the June convocation. It’s recommended to order the transcript through OUAC as they send it electronically to OCT vs paper https://www.ouac.on.ca/apply/oct/en_CA/user/login
- Recommendation to OCT - The Faculty of Education will only send your recommendation to OCT following convocation. Transcripts ordered by the student and the recommendation sent by the Faculty of Education are required for certification.
For more information, visit the 'Apply Now' section of the OCT website.
Graduating BEd students should view the information on the university’s convocation Web site for details regarding the ceremony and diploma services. Only Concurrent BEd students need to apply to graduate online using the convocation Website at http://www.yorku.ca/mygrad/preparing/apply Deadline to apply is February 28, 2020
Mental Health and Wellness at York U. Students needing assistance or support beyond their course work are encouraged to visit the resources available to them at YU. http://mhw.info.yorku.ca/resources/resources-at-york/students/.
Student Accessibility Services (SAS) Students with a diagnosed disability are encouraged to connect with York's Accessibility Services (SAS). Their office provides academic accommodation and support to students with disabilities in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s Policy on accessible education for students with disabilities and York University Senate Policy on Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities.
Updating your contact information
Please remember if you change your residential address or phone number(s) you should update this information through the Registrar's Office website. Under My Student Records select Change My Profile. You are also encouraged to add a contact person in case of emergency.
Throughout the winter, in cases of inclement weather, the university will also post on its web site weather emergencies and university closures. For details, visit http://webapps.yorku.ca/weather/
Reminder: Good Housekeeping
Please note that classroom space is shared, and we want to remind all students/faculty if eating in the classrooms to please remove garbage and put it in the appropriate receptacles in the hallways. By doing our part, we will help to keep our classrooms clean and in a professional state.
Office of Student Services, Faculty of Education hours
Monday 10:00a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday to Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Book an appointment with at Advisor.