December 2023 Student Services Newsletter
- The Faculty of Education News & Events feed
- Career Centre Visit Career Centre and find out about the services and opportunities available to you.
- The FESA Facebook employment page
- The Faculty of Education Mentoring and Teaching Resource Room
The Faculty of Education offices will be closed from 11:30am to the end of day on Friday, December 15, 2023.
Holiday Season York University will be closed during the Holiday Season, December 22, 2023 to January 2, 2024 inclusive. The university will resume regular office hours on January 3, 2024. Visit the BEd Program Calendars to see when you're back to class https://edu.yorku.ca/current-students/undergraduate/ Classes will begin the week of January 8th.
IMPORTANT Bachelor of Education (BEd) course requirements
Students needing to double check the course requirements for the BEd program should visit YU Academic Calendar's. Courses and Practicum requirements for all the teaching panels are posted. Visit https://calendars.students.yorku.ca/academic-calendar#/programs and select the program or teaching certification you are in.
Grade requirements for the Bachelor of Education
- Students will be ineligible to continue in the Bachelor of Education teaching certification degree / program if they receive less than a grade of C+ in any course taken for education credit.
- In the Bachelor of Education (BEd) program, students complete both a community-based practicum placement and three school-based practicum placements. School placements are supervised by an Ontario Certified Teacher. Students are required to complete all practicum days successfully in order to complete their degree programs. Further details on the practicum experience can be found online.
UPDATE: BA Educational Studies Certificate
The Faculty of Education Undergraduate Certificate in Educational Development has received notification and approval that the certificate is offered as follows:
- Students must be registered in the in the Honours BA (Educational Studies) program and complete the requirements concurrently. This degree requires the completion of 120 credits.
- Students must complete the BA major 42.00 credits in Educational Studies
- In addition, students must complete from these three courses as electives :
- Students must achieve a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least C+ (5.0).
BA EDST Program requirements
Students pursuing the BA Educational Studies program should look at the Degree Progress Report, to keep track of courses completed and what may still be required. For the degree Academic regulations and requirements visit Academic Calendars at https://edu.yorku.ca/current-students/undergraduate/
Year 2 BEd P/J and JI students (ED/EDPJ/JI 3100 and 3000)
Primary/Junior and Junior/Intermediate students will see on the BEd Program Calendar https://www.yorku.ca/edu/students/undergraduate-programs/bed-program-calendars/ ED/EDPJ 3000/ 3100 for Primary/Junior and ED/EDJI 3000 /3100 for Junior/Intermediate students. These courses are six weeks (1.50 credits) and posted as WA = starts week January 8th and WB = starts week of February 26th. These courses won’t plot to the Undergraduate Students Timetable schedule Monday to Friday because the session codes are not familiar to YU system. But you can see the time, day and session code WA and WB in writing under Important Notes.
BA Educational Studies students, exploring courses offered by the Department of English.
If looking for a winter course seats available in the following. You may add courses by logging into the Registration & Enrolment Module (REM). Please register while seats are available! For enrolment inquiries, please contact the Department of English at email@example.com.
|Faculty||Subject||Course #||Credit Value||Course Title||Period||Section|
|AP||EN||2002||Cr=3.00||Literary Theory II (Course Outline)||W||M|
|AP||EN||2014||Cr=3.00||What Was Race? (Course Outline)
|AP||EN||2177||Cr=3.00||Comics and Cartoons II||W||M|
|AP||EN||3255||Cr=3.00||Indigenous Drama in Canada (Course Outline)
*Open to Year 2, 3, and 4
*For B.Ed. students with an English teachable looking for course(s) in the subject area: Canadian Literature
|AP||EN||4061||Cr=3.00||Environmental Justice Literature (Course Outline)
*Open to Year 3 and 4
York U. Study Abroad - Costa Rica in July 2024
A summer abroad opportunity for BA Educational Studies students and Year 1 Bachelor of Education students to Costa Rica in July. Professor Steve Alsop will be teaching Education for a Sustainable Future - ED/EDUC 3700 3.00 (an education elective for BEd students) and ED/EDST 3700 (course that meets BA degree course requirements). If interested, please read though the Las Nubes Project site for further information and details on the application. BA Educational Studies students can also plan a non-education (EDST) course through the Las Nubes Project course offerings.
Study Abroad Opportunities for BA Educational Studies students
York International offers students who have an interest to study or work abroad and keen to gain valuable international experience to enrich their education. Please visit their site to see what’s available along with how to apply and important dates. https://yorkinternational.yorku.ca/
Updating your contact information
Please remember if you change your residential address or phone number(s) you should update this information through the Registrar's Office website. Under My Student Records select Change My Personal Information. You are also encouraged to add a contact person in case of emergency.
Remember - eClass https://eclass.yorku.ca/
To increase clarity and communications, students are advised to turn Notifications Setting "on" in eClass to ensure that any announcements made will go directly to their preferred inbox. Please check this eClass Course Announcements regularly to ensure you have all recent updates.
Mental Health and Wellness at York U . Students needing assistance or support beyond their course work are encouraged to visit the resources available to them at YU. http://mhw.info.yorku.ca/resources/resources-at-york/students/.
As well, students needing non Academic Counselling can contact Student Counselling and Development (SCD) This unit helps York students to realize, develop and fulfill their personal potential in order to maximally benefit from their university experience and manage the challenges of university life. Students come to SCD because of a wide range of concerns including, but not limited to: depression, anxiety, abuse, stress, self-esteem, relationship issues, eating and body image as well as issues related to sexuality, short-term individual, couple, and group counselling, crisis intervention and consultations regarding students in distress/crisis and issues related to overall mental health.
Student Accessibility Services (SAS) Students with a diagnosed disability are encouraged to connect with York's Accessibility Services (SAS). Their office provides academic accommodation and support to students with disabilities in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s Policy on accessible education for students with disabilities and York University Senate Policy on Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities.
Thinking ahead for June 2024 graduation - BEd students https://www.yorku.ca/convocation/
Graduating Bachelor of Education students for spring 2024 can apply for their OCT registration/membership now. However, the full nomination to the Ontario College of Teachers by the Faculty of Education will not be submitted until late May 2024 when final grades and practicum days are completed successfully.
- Review the OCT application information at https://apps.oct.ca/OLR/Template.aspx?action=rege
- Apply for OCT membership/registration: Visit: oct.caselect Members and then Create an Account. In order for the BEd Student Services Office to send your recommendation, we require the six-digit OCT registration number for each graduating teacher candidate.
- Submit the six-digit Ontario College Teachers (OCT) registration number by to the Faculty of Education. The online form is available on the Faculty of Education website.
- Send Transcripts to OCT~ Graduating BEd teacher candidates will need to order all post-secondary transcripts and be sent to the Ontario College of Teachers. The Faculty of Education cannot order students transcripts, its the responsibility of students. When ordering transcripts, please indicate that you wish for your York University transcript to be sent after degree completion. Please order your transcript while completing your OCT application, using the OUAC Transcript Request available at https://www.ouac.on.ca/apply/oct/en_CA/user/login
- Recommendation to OCT- The Faculty of Education will send your recommendation to OCT following program completed recorded on the student record and if you have shared your OCT number (step 3). Transcripts ordered by the student and the recommendation sent by the Faculty of Education are required for certification.